“One of the worst ways to stop someone from telling sexist jokes is to tell him the joke isn’t funny. He’ll assume that you’re humorless and that he needs to save the good stuff for the right audience. If you really want someone to stop telling sexist jokes, you need to tell him, “I don’t get it” and then step back as he tries not to say, “It’s funny because women are stupid.””—
If This Isn’t From a Book, It Should Be (via gaircyrch)
Oh my god, I’m gonna have to try this it’s brilliant. I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time.
According to a report in the New York Times, California’s Republican Party is on its way to becoming a minor party. Only 30% of the State’s electorate is Republican, compared to 43% who are Democrats and 21% who are independents. A consultant to the GOP, Allan Hoffenblum, pointed out that the 30% figure means Republicans can’t win a statewide election. “You just can’t get enough crossover voters. They have alienated large swaths of voters. They have become too doctrinaire on the social issues. It’s become a cult.”
Another Republican consultant, Steve Schmidt, said, “The institution of the California Republican Party, I would argue, has effectively collapsed. It doesn’t do any of the things that a political party should do. It doesn’t register voters. It doesn’t recruit candidates. It doesn’t raise money. The Republican Party in the state institutionally has become a small ideological club that is basically in the business of hunting out heretics…When you look at the population growth, the actual party is shrinking. It’s becoming more white. It’s becoming older.”
>pander to extremists
>act surprised when people don’t want to vote for you
Hmmm…it’s tough to pick my #1. I’m always embarrassed to talk about music, but here goes. I’m going to cheat and choose three. First, Blondie. I love Blondie. I grew up listening to them, they’re great, and I love Debbie Harry’s voice. Second, Traveling Wilburys. Again, I grew up listening to them and hearing them brings back really nice memories- it’s a very comforting band. I still haven’t committed to memory all of the music from either of those bands, because it’s reassuring that there might still be something left to discover. And number three is Daft Punk. They’re one of the first bands I really discovered on my own (not through my parents or through a friend), and again, their music brings me to a certain place.
And 15…ugh. Poorly? :) When I get really, really mad, I get incredibly shaky and close to tears, which is about as un-intimidating as you can get. After that, I pretty much bottle it up.
1) Put your iTunes on shuffle. Give me the first 6 songs that pop up.
2) If you could meet anyone on this earth, who would it be?
3) Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 23, give me line 17.
4) What do you think about most?
5) Ever had a poem or song written about you?
6) Do you have any strange phobias?
7) What's your religion?
8) If you are outside, what are you most likely doing?
9) Simple but extremely complex. Favorite band?
10) What was the last lie you told?
11) Do you believe in karma?
12) What does your URL mean?
13) What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength?
14) Who is your celebrity crush?
15) How do you vent your anger?
16) Do you have a collection of anything?
17) Are you happy with the person you've become?
18) What's a sound you hate; sound you love?
19) What's your biggest "what if"?
20) Do you believe in ghosts? How about aliens?
21) Stick your right arm out; what do you touch first? Do the same with your left arm.
22) Smell the air. What do you smell?
23) What's the worst place you have ever been to?
24) Most attractive singer/s of your opposite gender?
25) To you, what is the meaning of life?
26) Do you drive? If so, have you ever crashed?
27) What was the last movie you saw?
28) What's the worst injury you've ever had?
29) Do you have any obsessions right now?
30) Ever had a rumor spread about you?
31) Do you tend to hold grudges against people who have done you wrong?
32) What is your astrological sign?
33) What's the last thing you purchased?
34) Love or lust?
35) In a relationship?
36) How many relationships have you had?
37) What is your secret weapon to get someone to like you?
38) Where is your best friend?
39) What were you doing last night at 12 AM?
40) Are you the kind of friend you would want to have as a friend?
41) You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?
42) You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. a) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? b) What do you do with your remaining days? c) Would you be afraid?
43) What's a song that always makes you happy when you hear it?
44) In your opinion, what makes a great relationship?
45) How can I win your heart?
46) Can insanity bring on more creativity?
47) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far?
48) What would you want to be written on your tombstone?
49) Give me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word "heart."
50) Basic question; what's your favorite color/colors?
51) What is your current desktop picture?
52) If you could press a button and make anyone in the world instantaneously explode, who would it be?
53) What would be a question you'd be afraid to tell the truth on?
54) You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what's even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice! What is that power?
55) You can re-live any point of time in your life. The time-span can only be a half-hour, though. What half-hour of your past would you like to experience again?
56) You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?
57) You have the opportunity to sleep with the music-celebrity of your choice. Who would it be?
58) You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you gonna go?
The tragic shooting in Colorado shook us all wide awake and reminded us of our mortality. It brought sadness and fear, disgust and outrage. James Holmes’s name has been heard on various news outlets and talk shows. He trended on Twitter for a whole day. He gained what he sought, fame. IBut it is not this monster of a terrorist that deserves his name to be known, but the lives that were lost. Twelve seems like a small number when we lose so many daily to war and disease. But these lives were not ended, they werestolen. So here’s to the twelve people who just wanted a night at the movies. Rest in peace.
6-year-old Veronica Moser-Sullivan, who just learned how to swim
Gordon Cowden, the oldest victim at just 51 and a father of two teens
A hero in his own right, Matthew McQuinn, who dove in front of his girlfriend and her brother to shield them from the gunshots
Alex Sullivan, who was celebrating turning 27 and his 1st wedding anniversary
Three men who served our country, John Larimer (27), Jonathan Blunk (26), and Jesse Childress (29)
Jessica Ghawi, 24, an aspiring sports journalist who had escaped a near-death shooting just a month ago
A “Subway sandwich artist” and college student, Micayla Medek, 23
Alexander Boik, 18, who aspired to be an art teacher and was just about to start his freshman year of college
Rebecca Ann Wingo had just begun her job at mobile medical imaging company at 32 years old
He had just completed his master degree in psychology in June,Alexander Teves, 24
New intern is half an hour late. Annoyed. Walked through room asking a coworker if he’s seen any new people wandering around, and he said, “no, it’s someone’s first day, though, right?” Another intern says, “who?” in this deadpan voice. And for some reason that pisses me off. “Who?” None of your fuckin’ business, that’s who. You got a horse in this race or something? Shut up.